Recommended Videos About Dyslexia
Click on the title to access the video.
Dyslexia: Symptoms and Solutions
This is my absolute #1 recommendation for parents and teachers! Be sure to watch all four parts! This presentation shares what happened in the science world to change our understanding of dyslexia, symptoms, approaches that do not work, what DOES work and more. There are some other helpful videos on the site, as well.
Made by Dyslexia
Made by Dyslexia is a global charity led by successful dyslexics whose purpose is to help the world properly understand, value and support dyslexia.
Be an Empowered Dyslexic with Ben Foss
Ben Foss is a successful entrepreneur and also has dyslexia! He coined the term “ear-reading” since he believes that there are three ways to read:
1) with your eyes
2) with your ears (audio books)
3) with your fingers (braille)
This is a powerful video and I really enjoyed it! If you like it, you will definitely want to check out Ben Foss’ book The Dyslexia Empowerment Plan!
Thank you, Mr. Falker
Read by Jane Kaczmarek
This is the story of Trisha, a young girl who loves stories and has a great desire and motivation to read as she enters school, only to find that the skill of reading eludes her. A teacher finally suspects dyslexia and helps her to learn to read. The very cool thing about this story is that it is actually a true story about the author, famous author and illustrator Patricia Polacco.
The Power of Dyslexia
A video about dyslexia and well known individuals with dyslexia.
How the Brain Learns to Read
This is excellent! Professor Dehaene also explains in this video that yes, indeed people look at and process each letter of a word when reading.
He also touches on why many young students and students with dyslexia often reverse letters and words. Very cool!
Video Presentation by Professor Stanlislas Dehaene
Shake it Up!
By CeCe Jones Bella Thorne
View short clips about reading and the brain:
http://www.readingrockets.org/reading-topics/dyslexia and http://www.readingrockets.org/shows/launching/brain
MORE VIDEOS – NOW YOU SEE IT!
- Now You See It: Hexagon and diamonds or “three cubes” ? (This video inspired my book cover)
- Whoa, 2nd Grader Was Able To Instantly Understand And Visualize “Cubic”
- Student With Dyslexia Speaking At The White House
- Dyslexia, And Is There A Right Way Or A Wrong Way To Make A Star?
- This Intelligent And Creative Kid Has Aspergers AND Dyslexia
- Phonological Awareness With “Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious”
- Dyslexia: As A Teacher, I Didn’t Know What I Didn’t Know
- My Credentials, You Ask?
- Teachers, Let It Go – Part II (Classroom Reading)
- Teachers Let It Go – Part I (Reading At Home)
- Cringe At The Word “Phonics”?
- Is It Really A Fluency Problem?
- More On The Love Of Books…Great Example
- Does A Love Of Books Always Make A Great Reader?
- Explicit And Systematic Better Than Whole Word
- Knowing Letter Sounds Is Not Phonemic Awareness
- Are You Thomas Edison’s Teacher?
- A, E, I, O, U, And Sometimes Y
- Teachers, You CAN Learn About Dyslexia For Your Own Brain
- I Am A Teacher Turned… What Began It All For Me
- Advice from a Student and an Example of Up/Down Confusion
- Pencil Grip Example
- Now You See It: Handmade Goat Chute
- Now You See It: Letter P Formation
- Now You See It: Letter Formation, lowercase g
- Now You See It: Letter Formation, lowercase e
- Now You See It: Letter Formation, lowercase r (13 second video)
- Now You See It: Letter Formation, lowercase r (1 minute video)
- Now You See It: Letter Formation, lowercase n (48 second video)
- Now You See It: Little Square / Big Square – Tile Creation